Friday, July 31, 2015

Traveling for Work…The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Traveling for work, for many of us, is extremely important to maintain relationships with customers and to cultivate relationships with future customers.  Additionally, traveling is rewarding by allowing you to experience different environments and local foods and to see many exciting and interesting places that you may never see.  This is truly the good of traveling.
   
As I speak about the bad of traveling, I am not complaining.  The majority of my travels can be categorized in the “good” category.  After all, how would you know what is good, if you don’t have something bad to compare it to, right?  In fact, the bad of traveling would be better described as the inconvenience of traveling, but I wanted to use the old western movie description I used in the title.  Traveling by plane can’t be described as luxury travel.  You are cramped into an ever shrinking seat with a curious stranger next to you, hoping the person doesn’t have to disturb you with bathroom issues or speak to you about his multiple medical afflictions.  As the plane takes off, you are hoping, if you have a connecting flight, that the plane is close to being on time so you can make your next flight.  After all, 35 minutes in Chicago between flights is a piece of cake, right?  After finally arriving at your destination, you deplane in a non-orderly, slow fashion and find your way to baggage claim.  Nervousness arrives as you watch the baggage carousel rotate and your bag is not appearing while a large group of people are picking up seemingly anybody’s bag and walking away.  You breathe a sigh of relief as your bag appears on the carousel and grab it to go and find transportation.  As you exit the airport and follow the direction for ground transportation you look for a taxi.  In many locations, you rush to find ground transportation only to find a line of people from multiple baggage carousels waiting in front of you.  After you wait, like cattle in a processing line, you get a reward.  That reward is a rickety taxi cab driven by a person that has trouble with the spoken language and you trust the person understands where to take you.  The drive to your location can typically be described as a cross between an Indianapolis 500 race and ride on a white water raft.  Upon arriving at your hotel and checking in you finally get to the room you will be staying at for the next few days.  This is some of the bad of traveling. 

Now I have to talk about the ugly.  These ugly situations actually happened to me so they may happen to you as well.  Beware! 

Ugly travels – The Suitcase.  I traveled to Orlando a few years back for a convention and was pleasantry surprised by the airlines ability to take care of my clothes within my suitcase.  As I waited for my luggage to come around the carousel at baggage claim in the airport I noticed a suitcase taped up with silver duct tape and thought that poor person with that suitcase.  I soon discovered that the poor person was me.  My suitcase seemed to explode in the airplane between Milwaukee and Chicago and the airline was kind enough to wrap duct tape around it multiple times.  I shrugged my shoulders and thought that at least I still received my luggage.  I arrived at my hotel and began unpacking the duct tape so I could get to my clothes in order to hang up.  I reached in and pulled out my white dress shirt I was planning on wearing the next day.  I noticed that my dress shirt had a large black tire mark across the front of it as if someone took a vehicle and ran over it multiple times.  Now I realized what happened to my suitcase.

Ugly Travels – The Entrance.  I had just checked into my hotel in Minneapolis and entered my room.  I headed over to the bed, lifted my suitcase and began unpacking it.  It was an extremely warm day of travel so I wanted to change and get some new clothes on.  I undressed to my birthday suit and began heading towards the bathroom which was next to the entrance door.  As I neared the bathroom door, my entrance door suddenly swung open and an elderly man and woman starred at me with wide eyes and mouths agape.  I was stunned that I was staring at possible attendees from my conference wearing nothing but the socks on my feet.  They rapidly closed the door and I learned from that point on to always, always dead bolt my door.

Ugly Travels – The Fuel Dump.  I was never a comfortable airplane traveler but it was the quickest way to get from point A to point B and it is safer than driving, right?  Well my trip from Green Bay to Chicago tested that belief.  We were to take off at 6:30 am to arrive in Chicago an hour later in order to connect to a flight to Phoenix at 12:30 pm.  It left me quite a bit of time to get to the connecting flight I thought.  Well upon arriving at the airport, I noticed storms developing in Green Bay and thought this could be an issue.  The airplane carrier let all of us know that the plane was delayed and would leave in an hour or so when the weather cleared.  I immediately checked a weather website I use and noticed that the storms seemed to be building at our destination of Chicago.  In an hour, as you may have guessed, they did not board the plane.  They didn’t start boarding the plane until 8:30.  I thought I still have time to make my connecting flight so it was better safe to wait.  When I finally boarded the plane I overheard the flight attendant tell another passenger that they hoped to make it to Chicago.  I didn’t like the term hoped but they are the experts.  The Captain began to speak over the intercom and let us know that they were going to add more fuel to the plane and fly around the storms.  The only drawback was that an hour flight would now be a 2 ½ hour flight and the Captain hoped to make it to Chicago.  Again, the Captain used that ugly hope word.  After the Captain said the hope word, some of the passengers began to get up from their seat and deplane.  I texted my good friend who was sitting a few seats in front of me and asked her if she wanted to leave the flight.  She texted me back and asked what I thought and I decided we should leave the flight.  We left the flight and spoke to the agent at the counter about our options and suddenly all the people began exiting the airplane.  The flight has now officially been delayed.  We decided to wait to see what happened and if we would board the plane once again after the delay.  Approximately 2 hours later they began boarding the plane once again.  We decided at this point it was the only way we would make our connecting flight so we decided to roll the dice and board the plane.  The Captain spoke on the intercom once again and let us know the same plan, which was to have extra fuel to fly around the storms.  After we took off and 10 minutes into the flight, the Captain came on the intercom and let us know that there is a window to land relatively soon, however there was an issue with landing because of the extra weight from the added fuel we were carrying.  The solution to this extra weight was to lower our landing gear at 30,000 feet and burn the fuel weight off the plane.  Also, there was going to be a large noise as this was happening.  There wasn’t anything I could do so I just decided to be happy this adventure was soon to end, hopefully successfully.  As the Captain lowered the landing gear, the plane began to shake violently and an extremely loud vibrating sound began that was akin to a blender with rocks in it.  This went on for 15 minutes above Lake Michigan.  The skin color of many of the passengers began to turn a ghostly white as I am sure my skin did as well.  I kept repeating in my head that flying is safer than driving so this is going to be just fine.  As the landing gear touched down on the landing strip a huge relief came over me.  We finally made it to Chicago and make our way to Phoenix but I will never forget the look of the passengers on that flight.  It was an ugly experience. 


These are just three of the many ugly experiences of travel I have endured.  Next time someone says how lucky you are to travel for work, remember these experiences and ask them how lucky you truly are.               

No comments:

Post a Comment